Please feel free to take part in our discussion– this forum serves as a guestbook for everyone, not just members. Offensive, spam, and inflammatory posts may be deleted.

If your comment does not show up right away, do not worry, it was probably temporarily marked as spam for some reason. However, your comment will be manually approved and later posted once an administrator has reviewed it.

Click here to leave a reply.

5,695 comments

1. Good Morning Fellow Soldiers, I recently learned of this site from a young man at a physical therapy location in Worthington Ohio.
    I’m a Vietnam Veteran 1969-1970 two tours First Air Cav, Phouc Vinh.
    To my fellow Vietnam Veterans, Welcome Home!
    I’m a Retired County Veterans Service Officer.

2. Some of you might remember us 90millimeter guys. I am proud to say we were favorites of Captain Morris. He loved that gun and would take it and shoot it himself sometimes. We were a separate squad in Echo Company, who normally sent teams of two of us out with line companies as needed. Captain Morris liked having a 90 on hand all the time. Chuck Vanderbosche and me (Jim Intravia aka “Infantry”) volunteered and transferred to Charlie Company permanently. There were other 90 guys who you might have met previous to that. Here are names I know. Hal Zehr, Dale Usher, Tom Denton, Chuck Simmons, James Morgan, Tony Steerman, Larry Ward, Alton Smarr, Ray Wayble. I recently (last two weeks of November 2023) took a one-man traveling vacation and visited several old friends and relatives including some of my mike-mike (as Captain Bob used to say) buddies. I planned on three of them that were in my area of travel. Since Vanderbosche and I stayed with Charlie, you probably don’t remember others but maybe you do during the middle of 1969. So, here is an update on who I visited and those I know something about. I visited Tom Denton (“Tex”) in Roanoke, VA. He is happily retired from a very dignified career in journalism and has children and grandchildren and is in good health after some serious back surgeries. He had played college football for Baylor in Texas. Ray Wayble is retired from National Cash Register and from his county in Ohio, near Cambridge. He has three children and grandchildren and lives in a farm house that he built himself. You might remember him; little guy about 110 lbs. Back then and worked as hard and carried as much as any of us. Tony Steerman is a sad story. I wanted to visit him in Jonesboro (near Atlanta, GA) but his wife told me his dementia is so bad that a visit would cause him more suffering. Those were the three on my itinerary. Also, Larry Ward passed away several years ago. Hal Zehr has his own lawn sprinkler company in Wyoming and I think is retired from something else. He is in good health and looks 10 years younger than the rest of us. Dale Usher is retired from the post office in Iowa. He has had a knee and/or hip replacement and like most of us is a grandfather. Morgan was wounded in 69 and we never saw him again and have not been able to find him (Mississippi I think). Vanderbosche does not respond to any of us. Alton Smarr is not in touch with any of us. Neither is “Spooky” Scholl who is in Ohio. Chuck Simmons is as funny and crazy as ever and lives in Memphis Tennessee area. Us Echo guys are beginning to plan a mini-reunion sometime soon and realistically think it will probably be our last. I just thought that some of you might be interested in some of our lives since then.

1. Thanks for the feedback. I remember the few times of having a 90 the last few times before I left toward the end of Nov 69 after I believe Sept 69 when Capt Morris arrived. My one war story about the 90 was we were in a night position on as small mountain. It was dark when we heard a thump of a mortar. I froze and it landed on the other side. We all walked to the other side as we expected the second to fall short on our side. It did! We knew they would split the difference and they did and it hit in the middle. By that time the 90 was in position to fire where the motor flash could be seen. One round and no more incoming. No one was hurt from the mortars. Loved you guys.

3. I am sorry to announce the Passing of Tyler Harper. Bill Clark is in touch with him nearly every day. Been no response from Ty for a couple of days. Police went for a welfare check and found him deceased. No further information at this time.

4. Does anyone know Timothy Mohler from Kansas who was KIA on 8/19/1968. I was there and in that battle but did not know him. A cousin ran me down and seeking information. Thank you.

5. The 70-72 group reunion is all set!

It will at the Rushmore Hotel and Suites, 445 Mt. Rushmore Rd, Rapid City, SD from May 8-12, 2023. The rooms are $79+tx, king or queen, single or double.

If you can come, call 605.348.8300 or email jen@therushmore.com to make a reservation. Ask for the C 2/1 Infantry group.

6. Does anybody know why the members photos are not longer visible? No matter whose name you click on, it says “page not available.”

7. Plans for next year’s reunion is starting to shape up. It looks like we will be in Kansas City September 7 thru 10, 2023. Get this date on your calendar so that nothing else gets planned for this date. We will keep you posted as information becomes available.

8. It is sad to find out the passing of another brother:
    Obituary
    Raymond Lee Johnson, 74, of Terre Haute, Indiana, passed away, March 7, 2022. He was born July 13, 1947, in Terre Haute, Indiana, to William Howard Johnson and Gertrude (Robinson) Johnson. Raymond worked for Duke Energy for 40 years, retiring in 2014. He served in the United States Army, in the 196th Infantry during Vietnam. Raymond holds membership with the American Legion Post #2 in Brazil and also the Brazil VFW. He is survived by his sons Raymond Johnson and William Johnson; grandchildren Chloe and Daisy; and sister Patricia Hartweck (Kenneth). He was preceded in death by his parents and one brother. Funeral services are scheduled for Saturday, March 12, 2022, at 1:00p.m. in Greiner Funeral Home, 2005 North 13th Street, Terre Haute, Indiana, 47804. Visitation will be at the funeral home on Saturday, from 11:00a.m. until service time. Military honors will be at the funeral home on Saturday, given by the Brazil American Legion.

9. Final Sunset

To find the Light you must pass through the Darkness
    As we age our Light begins to fade, I must learn to write in the dark
    We were raised to be God’s children but for many we became the Angel of Death
    Warriors with a fractured Soul
    I don’t ask God for forgiveness but understanding!
    My actions were to save my brothers, instill fear into our enemy
    50 years later I still embrace my deeds and feel little remorse for those souls I sent to their maker
    How could you not want to eliminate the evil that killed your brothers?
    Why ask forgiveness for what you felt was the path for survival for you & others?
    Why do some of us feel that remorse for our deeds? Afraid it will not allow us to find Paradise?
    Every Warrior hopes for a Good Death
    With the Light of the Warrior, you will burn your way to Paradise!

Bullwinkle & Warlock

10. Listen up charlie company. On the Sunday before Memorial day, in the evening, l will be in a program recognizing Vietnam vets. It will be on your local public tv. It is the national concert at the mall in DC. Paul Critchlow will also be interviewed. I think they are going to use a poem or two of Bullwinkle’s work.

11. They Died Young
    Without tradition New Things Die
    With tradition WW II Fathers watch their Vietnam War Sons Die Young
    The average age of a WWII Veteran was 26
    The average age of a Vietnam Veteran was 22
    I almost died before my 21st Birthday
    My Dad never got use to men dying, neither did I
    I am only lonely around people
    There are so few I feel close to, my Brothers of the Blood
    Our lives after the Nam were different but a magnet of blood and tears draws us together.
    You remember their Faces, Smiles, Words of Wisdom
    Emptiness, fear, and nightmares after their passing
    We are now closer to the end than the beginning
    Memorial Day Approaches
    Honor Them “They are America’s Heroes”
    Bullwinkle & Warlock
    Sgt. Ted Van Aulen

Leave a Reply to LT Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *