Please feel free to take part in our discussion– this forum serves as a guestbook for everyone, not just members. Offensive, spam, and inflammatory posts may be deleted.

If your comment does not show up right away, do not worry, it was probably temporarily marked as spam for some reason. However, your comment will be manually approved and later posted once an administrator has reviewed it.

Click here to leave a reply.

5,695 comments

1. For My Brothers of C 2/1 and the Grunts of all Wars
    Remembrance
    We all should have died so many times
    Now our souls are scared with the guilt of survival for the rest of our days
    Yesterday’s seem like ancient history except for their passing
    Today is the official Memorial Day
    The Calendar is Memorial Day for the Old Warriors
    One Last Patrol
    Honor the Dead
    Bullwinkle & Warlock

1. Line 2 word should be “Scarred” not “scared”.
      What happens when I don’t let Karen proof read my poems.
      Maybe education was more important than beer and women when I was a younger man?

2. Try Again
      Line 2 should be scarred not scared. What happens when I don’t let Karen proof read before I publish.

2. Well my brothers and sisters (Wives), here another Memorial Day. to remember our fallen brothers. So many in our platoons. so many of us came in to replace the kia and the wounded. we, the lucky ones that survived, so of us with a little guilt for surviving while our brothers didn’t. I try to Honor them, by telling people every chance I get that those brothers were so brave, they were Heroes. Who paid the ultimate price for our freedom. I hope and pray to God that they may be in God’s heaven. I feel so proud to have served with some of them and with you’ll. The greatest soldiers and the human beings, who achieved success and kept a family. I have already made my reservation for the reunion in October in San Antonio, TEXAS. Your brother always Eduardo Martinez ‘Pancho”

1. What a beautiful post, Pancho. I wish that I could join you brothers in San Antonio, but my wife, Barbara and I will be traveling to Germany at that time. I hope to make the next one.
      Rick

3. Tyler Harper set up a new web site for his art work. He sent me this email. PLEASE NOTE!… I am NOT I repeat NOT asking you to buy anything but if you know someone who might be interested in this, please forward to them. If appropriate, please post on your social media sites for others to see.
    https://www.tjharperartist.com/

4. In Memory of Sgt Larry Detwiler
    KIA 9/22/69 near Hiep Duc
    The Pure Warrior
    Thoughts of pride will last until the end of my time, having served with you.
    I live with the guilt that Warlock & I were not there on the last day of your life.
    It was written that you would not get old.
    Our first day in the Jungle we argued. I always walk point for my squad!
    I replied, not today, “Warlock” has a better nose!
    Always in front “Follow Me” just words for many but it was your life!
    Older than most “Teen Warriors” of the Nam your wisdom would help many to survive.
    A Pennsylvania boy, modest, smart and star as wrestler & football player.
    The river of time washes the silt of memory to the great bay.
    How far away is dead?
    You were the best soldier I ever saw!
    If there is resurrection and Warlock alerts on a friendly in front it must be the Pure Warrior!
    Bullwinkle & Warlock

1. I was the first man behind him that day. He had taken me under his wing as I was his RTO. I was an FNG and had been with the company for only about a week.

5. The hotel where we are having our reunion does not have a shuttle service to the hotel. This should be a great reunion. With the people that have already made reservations, guys said yes to the evite and several that have said maybe, we could be at 51 for the reunion. If you are coming to the reunion and have not made reservations yet, please do so that Mike Lynd and Ron Causey can better prepare for the reunion.

1. OOPS, I didn’t read my post before hitting the post comment. The hotel does not have a shuttle service to the airport.

6. On Wally’s and my trip last month, the second guy we saw was William Shepherd, who was Wally’s platoon leader for a short time until he got wounded in November 1969. Lt Shepherd was the green beret that they started sending to different companies in Nam instead of keeping them all together. He said he thought he was not very well liked. Wally and I both told him that we knew nothing about him being not well liked. We had a nice visit. He is married to a very nice lady.
    Neither Doc Wolff nor Lt Shepherd could join us to go to a Atlanta Braves vs NY Mets game there in Atlanta that Wally and I enjoyed going to.

1. Lt Shepherd:
      I though you were a smart professional officer. Not the typical OCS rookie. Warlock like you also though Sam took a bite. He was that way with everyone but Poncho.
      Get better.
      Bullwinkle

7. Wally Searight and I went on a 10-day trip to see our army brothers. I am going to post daily (I will miss tomorrow as I will be traveling) about our trip which started on April 13, 2019. We flew into Atlanta and got in late Saturday night. Sunday, we went as saw our first guy on our trip. Our first guy was a medic by the name of Aleks Wolff. He came in as one of the replacements for 2 of the medics that was KIA on February 2, 1970. The two medics that were killed was Alan Berry and James Kirkby. 2nd platoon’s medic Doc Szdylo moved to head medic and we got Doc Capone while Doc Wolf went to 3rd platoon.
    Doc wolf came to America to California when he was 16 and could not speak English and started high school. He graduated from high school when he was 20 ½ years old. The army drafted him within days of graduation from high school. He became a medic and came to Charlie company. After his tour in Viet Nam, he was encouraged to go to OCS, which he did. He then got his citizenship in 1972. He retired as a Major after 22 years in the army. Doc has completely lost his accent speaks perfect English.
    After the army, he started his own business which was a great success. He retired few years back and moved to just south of Atlanta, GA where he is near one of his daughters and her husband and grandchildren.
    Doc and his wife had cinnamon rolls and coffee waiting for us when we arrived. We had a great time with an incredible brother Doc Wolf.

8. larry
    thanks for coming by, if possible could you leave the password for entering site and where I can send some money to0 help the site.

9. Larry and Wally.
    Thanks for coming by and seeing my wife and I last week, I hope you were able to get Braves tickets for Sunday night. Thanks for helping me remember what really happen and what I be telling people i thought happen. Sorry we didnt get that beer but I can’t thank you enough for coming by.

1. I’m glade we got to visit it was good seeing you and yes we got tickets to the Braves. I got home yesterday from our spring trip. We also visited Doc Wolf, Robert Jones, Bob Huffnagle, Mal O’Berry, Ron Hurst, Ed Davis and Bullwinkle. We also visited the Warlock bronze which was very nice and went to 3 Rays games. We had a great time.

10. LT, I hope you had a happy birthday…As they say…It ain’t easy getting old, but it beats the alternative…and some days I’m not so sure about that.

1. Happy Birthday Ken……..just remember Clint Eastwood’s advice when asked how he can still be making movies at 88 – “don’t let the old man in”

1. It went better than the other knee. They put in the saddle
      block to deaden from the waist down during surgery and then gave me a shot in the thigh which kept me pain free until about noon the nest day and then dilaudid and hydrocodone took over, I got released on Weds. Now starts the long recovery period!

11. Hey Brothers!
    Today is the 49th Anniversary of the terrible Bouncing Betty booby trap incident on March 16, 1970. RIP to those killed that night, Sfc David Walden, Sgt Wayne Peagler and Ga. To all those wounded our thoughts are with you as many of you continue to live with the pain both physically and mentally of that night! God bless all my brothers! Hope to see some of you in San Antonio in October!

12. Greg Cook: I was the medic with 3rd platoon, C/2/1 on Thanksgiving Day, 1970. We were in Happy Valley between Baldy and LZ Ross which was a Marine position at the time. We had just had a big, good meal flown into the company and then 3rd platoon headed off to an NDP position. We were moving around a small hillside overlooking rice paddies when someone further up the file hit a booby trap. It killed one, wounded three and a scout dog. A Marine little Chinook came out and picked up the casualties. The KIA was an E-6 who had come out the previous day. I don’t think he made 24 hours in the field. Who is the person who contacted you about this incident?

13. I made hotel reservations for the reunion yesterday looking forward to a good time. Hope we have good turnout.

14. I just got a call from Roger Wilson’s wife with bad news. He passed away on October 25, 2018. He had a lot of back pain and he was taking medicine to relieve his back pain and that medicine destroyed his liver and he died from liver failure. They did get their house sold and moved and she said that he died in his dream home.

15. I got my reservations for the reunion in San Antonio. For those wanting to get reservations made here is the hotel info:
    Drury Inn & Suites 15806 IH-10 West San Antonio, TX 78249
    Hotel phone numbers: 210-696-0800 or 800–325-0720
    When guests call to book their rooms please have them reference Group # 2366655 “Vietnam Vets” as we have received a lower than usual rate. Guests need to make reservations before 9-27-2019. The rate is $89.00 per night.

16. Larry,
    Do you think we could ahold of one of the video cassettes filmed by Lt Homki in Hilton Head? Might be of interest to Mr. Lynd.

17. October 10, 2019 – October 13, 2019 Reunion
    San Antonio, TX
    50th + or – Anniversary for everyone
    Hotel Information
    Drury Inn & Suites 15806 IH-10 West San Antonio, TX 78249
    Hotel phone numbers: 210-696-0800 or 800–325-0720
    When guests call to book their rooms please have them reference Group # 2366655 “Vietnam Vets” as we have received a lower than usual rate. Guests need to make reservations before 9-27-2019.
    Room rate: 89.00 plus tax. This rate is good for early arrival or late departure.
    Number of rooms: 60 booked under “Vietnam Vets”. 30 rooms king beds & 30 rooms with 2 double beds. First come first served.
    Free Hot Breakfast, Free Parking and Free Wi-Fi
    We will have access to a bus for delivery to and from various sites for sure downtown river walk, Alamo shopping, bars and if the masses want to visit other sites.
    Thursday, October 10, 2019
    Check-in at the Drury Inn & Suites 15806 IH-10 West San Antonio, TX 78249
    Every evening from 5:30-7:00 enjoy free soft drinks, hot appetizers, beer, wine, mixed drinks & soft drinks.
    Friday and Saturday
    Not sure of the days or times yet as this is a work in process currently.
    One of our host, Mike Lynd (1968-69) is building a new office building that will have a Viet Nam’s grunt museum that will have its grand opening on Friday while we are at this reunion. The traveling wall has been reserved to be set up in my new parking lot for 4 days thru Sunday it has to be open to public not just us.
    At the grand opening on Friday pm, there will be two generals to welcome us all and they will mingle with us. The roof top area will be available to those that want to hang out with munchies and hard drinks great views of hill country after the grand opening ceremonies. Mr. Lynd is going to make this year’s reunion a real “wing ding”.
    Mr. Lynd is working on trying to get Chris Noel to come to visit with us as most of us in the field was not able to see her in Nam. For those of you that may have forgotten, Chris Noel is an American actress. Star of a dozen beach party movies in the 1960s, she is perhaps best known by veterans of the Vietnam war for her work on the Armed Forces Radio and Television Service as the “Voice of Vietnam”. Noel made frequent visits to troops and was shot down twice in helicopters. Her radio program “A Date with Chris” is fondly remembered by many Vietnam vets. Her pin up pictures were very popular.
    We will have going away dinner on Saturday and will probably do it on barges on the river, but this has not buttoned it up yet.
    Sunday, October 13, 2019
    11:00am – Check-out
    Special request from our host Mr. Lynd
    What I need for some of our guys is to give an audio and or visual stories tense, funny or whatever to be put in museum. I also want a separate one from wives and girlfriends who spent that year in waiting and what it meant to them.
    Hosted by: Mike Lynd lyndsr@lynd.com and Ron Causey roncausey@sbcglobal.net

Leave a Reply to Larry Harper Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *