Please feel free to take part in our discussion– this forum serves as a guestbook for everyone, not just members. Offensive, spam, and inflammatory posts may be deleted.

If your comment does not show up right away, do not worry, it was probably temporarily marked as spam for some reason. However, your comment will be manually approved and later posted once an administrator has reviewed it.

Click here to leave a reply.

5,695 comments

1. Charlie Company reunion:
    October 10, 2019 – October 13, 2019 Reunion
    San Antonio, TX
    50th + or – Anniversary for everyone
    Hotel Information
    Drury Inn & Suites 15806 IH-10 West San Antonio, TX 78249
    Hotel phone numbers: 210-696-0800 or 800–325-0720
    When guests call to book their rooms please have them reference Group # 2366655 “Vietnam Vets” as we have received a lower than usual rate. Guests need to make reservations before 9-27-2019.
    Room rate: 89.00 plus tax. This rate is good for early arrival or late departure.
    Number of rooms: 60 booked under “Vietnam Vets”. 30 rooms king beds & 30 rooms with 2 double beds. First come first served.
    Free Hot Breakfast, Free Parking and Free Wi-Fi
    We will have access to a bus for delivery to and from various sites for sure downtown river walk, Alamo shopping, bars and if the masses want to visit other sites.
    Thursday, October 10, 2019
    Check-in at the Drury Inn & Suites 15806 IH-10 West San Antonio, TX 78249
    Every evening from 5:30-7:00 enjoy free soft drinks, hot appetizers, beer, wine, mixed drinks & soft drinks.
    Friday and Saturday
    Not sure of the days or times yet as this is a work in process currently.
    One of our host, Mike Lynd (1968-69) is building a new office building that will have a Viet Nam’s grunt museum that will have its grand opening on Friday while we are at this reunion. The traveling wall has been reserved to be set up in my new parking lot for 4 days thru Sunday it has to be open to public not just us.
    At the grand opening on Friday pm, there will be two generals to welcome us all and they will mingle with us. The roof top area will be available to those that want to hang out with munchies and hard drinks great views of hill country after the grand opening ceremonies. Mr. Lynd is going to make this year’s reunion a real “wing ding”.
    Mr. Lynd is working on trying to get Chris Noel to come to visit with us as most of us in the field was not able to see her in Nam. For those of you that may have forgotten, Chris Noel is an American actress. Star of a dozen beach party movies in the 1960s, she is perhaps best known by veterans of the Vietnam war for her work on the Armed Forces Radio and Television Service as the “Voice of Vietnam”. Noel made frequent visits to troops and was shot down twice in helicopters. Her radio program “A Date with Chris” is fondly remembered by many Vietnam vets. Her pin up pictures were very popular.
    We will have going away dinner on Saturday and will probably do it on barges on the river, but this has not buttoned it up yet.
    Sunday, October 13, 2019
    11:00am – Check-out
    Special request from our host Mr. Lynd
    What I need for some of our guys is to give an audio and or visual stories tense, funny or whatever to be put in museum. I also want a separate one from wives and girlfriends who spent that year in waiting and what it meant to them.
    Hosted by: Mike Lynd lyndsr@lynd.com and Ron Causey roncausey@sbcglobal.net

2. I sent out reunion notices today and found that I had several email addresses that was no longer valid. Does anyone have any email address updates for the following brothers?:
    Sidney Silverman
    Russell Wright
    Rick Perkins
    Larry Foster
    Jack Diamond
    John Grace
    Ellis Wilkerson
    Eddie Karr
    Allen Rowedder

3. I am having a heck of a time trying to get the 1971-1973 group’s 2019 reunion in the reunion tab. Until we can get it figured out, here is the information:
    Charlie Company 2/1 196 LIB
    Core group 1970-1973
    2019 Reunion
    May 23-26, 2019
    Where: Hotel is Drury Inn
    602 N. Bluff
    Collinsville, IL 62234
    Phone: 618-345-7700
    TELL THEM YOU ARE WITH Charlie Co. C 2/1
    We have 15 rooms blocked
    Price: $110 per night plus taxes for King bed deluxe room.
    $115 per night for double bed deluxe room.
    CUT OFF DATE FOR RESERVATIONS 04/23/2019
    There are several options on places to go. We can all talk about them at the hotel then and all try to figure our what we want to do. Jefferson Barracks Cemetery is one spot of interest. Alton, IL has many antique style spots, as well as, local HOT Spot – Fast Eddie’s> Whatever we do, we will convene at our home on Friday night and get together in the Party Barn (Svobodome) and chew the fat! We do not want to have a set agenda, but rather just throw out options when we all meet and decide where and what we are going to do
    We hope to see you all in May. If you have any questions, please call or email Tom & Jeanne Price 6231 St. James Dr. Edwardsville, IL 62025 rtprice43@gmail.com 618-604-4398.

4. Hi everyone, I am a high school student who likes to collect and preserve military items. I recently stumbled upon some items and am trying to figure out who exactly they belong to. The information I have as of right now is
    SGT Hammond, U.S. Army – 198th (1967-1968)
    I appreciate any knowledge that is available. Thank you!

1. This is Jimmie Morin ((LOCO)) “RTO” and “m60 Gunner” and “M79” If you could send me the information For all The activities if possible. I am just a few miles away from the Drury Inn & Suites. La Cantera Parkway. I just heard about the Reunion From ((Pancho)) Eduardo Martinez. From Houston. I will for sure be there, with my WIFE. Any other information as needed. My phone # is 210-573-1451 this my Mobil, 210-359-8046 is my Home #. 346 Anton Dr. San Antonio Tx 78223 is My home address I am so Happy and Excited about the Reunion. Please notify me.
      Thanks Jimmie Morin

5. I GOT A REGULAR MAIL FROM AGRUNT NAMED ODOM FROM TEXAS. HE ASKED ABOUT THE THANKSGIVING DAY BOOBY TRAP C-2/1 HAD–I DID NOT GET TO C-2/1 TIL THE DAY AFTER. I WAS IN CHU LAI–ON KP AMD SURE ATE GOOD.

1. Greg Cook:
      I was the medic with 3rd platoon C/2/1 Inf. on Thanksgiving Day, 1970. We were in Happy Valley between LZ Baldy and LZ Ross. A fine meal had been flown out to the company and after that our platoon headed out with all our gear towards our NDP. We hadn’t gone very far, maybe a click, and were going along the side of a hill overlooking rice paddies. Some one up towards the point, not the point or slack man, hit a booby trap. It killed one man, wounded three and the scout dog. None of the wounded ever came back. The man killed was an E-6 who had just come out to the platoon the day before. To my knowledge he had less than 24 hours in the field.

6. Hello my brothers. I apologize for not checking our website more often. Looks like we have a site already: San Antonio, Texas. Three to four hours from Houston. Wonderful!! It’s a charming city. A military city. With many military bases. I spent a year in the hospital at Brooke Army general Hospital. And that’s where I ran into LT in 2003 at a ADVA Reunion. Recently, Fred Chinn asked me about Roger Synclair. Does anyone know his phone or address? let me know. You’ll take care of yourselves. “pancho” Martinez.

7. On the lighter side of things Warlock is now a local noveity since the dedication of the Veterans Park in Sun City. I have had one speaking engagement to MOAA and 3 more coming up to various Veteran clubs. Went on the local radio station also. Everyone loves stories. I have been giving C 2/1 all the good press I can as the best company in the 196th.
    I just tell everyone Tooch was adopted from a Marine unit that got lost in the jungle.

8. I saw on the news where a man killed 5 people in a bank in Sebring, FL. That is where Ed Davis lives. I wrote a email checking on his welfare, but I haven’t heard back yet. The guy that did the killing had just moved there from Indiana. Ed just moved to Sebring from Indiana also.

1. Larry
      Five women were killed by a want-to-be prison guard low life. His girl friend dump him so he kills five innocent women.
      He admitted he did it so he should in the ground.

9. I served with C 2/1 from February, 1967-68. I have tried a couple of times, with no success, to get a shout back from anyone I served with. Would love to connect!

1. John, I answered an email you sent but got no reply back. Which platoon were you in? you said you had a company roster. If possible, could you send me a copy of the roster?

2. I think I was on R@R with you in Singapore in August ‘67 and came with 8 other guys to C 2/1 as replacements in February. Hope you are well. Seevers

10. I added a link on the right side that ended up under Blogroll. This is a link to Mike Lynd’s office building’s construction time lapse. It is very interesting to watch.

11. I updated Mike Lynd’s email address updated on the roster section in case anyone is trying to email him.

12. I purchased The Americal Division history book from the Americal Division Veterans Association last month. I am reading it a little bit at a time (it’s in the bathroom).
    In April 1967 when The Americal was sent to the I corps area the division was comprised of the 196th LIB, the 1st Brigade, the 101st Airborne Division and the 3rd Brigade of the 25th Infantry Division (Later predesignated the 3rd Brigade , 4th Infantry Division).
    I was very surprised to see that the 101 Airborne Division was part of the Americal Division.

1. I was with Charlie Company in 1969 and the Americal Division at that time was made up of the 11th Light Infantry Brigade, the 196th Light Infantry Brigade and the 198th Light Infantry Brigade
        The Americal Division became the largest infantry division in the Vietnam War and its heavily contested area of operations in Quang Ngai and Quang Tin Provinces included more territory than any other division in Vietnam.

2. Rick,
        The combat brigades were the 11th, 196 and 198. The 11th and 198 were sent home and the 196 th remained as a separate brigade until 1972 according to what I was able to find.

1. LT,
          I was with 196th right to the end. The final effort was the development of an infantry Bn sized unit with the designation “Operation or Project Gimlet”. I stayed with them till they were stood down.

13. Wishing all of my C/2/1 brothers and their families the best of everything for 2019! May health and prosperity be with you!

14. Merry Christmas Charlie Company!
    When Santa comes to Tampa he will need pontoon boat instead of a sleigh. Last two days we have had 5+ inches of rain and more comming.

15. I got Terry Robert’s contact updated on the roster section. If anyone notices their information needs updated, please let me know.

16. I was told that the reunion will be in October and not November. When information becomes available, I will post.

1. Cliff and I will not be able to attend the weekend of Oct 11-13. Planning a family reunion that weekend which has been Two years in the planning. We’re so disappointed, love the reunions.

2. Huge military town; all 5 are present. Great place for Vets. Super food, good weather in October, and lots to do. It’s a Great choice.

17. Ron Casey and Mike Lynd are working on next year’s reunion. The reunion will be in San Antonio. They think the reunion will be October 11 thru 13. Mike Lynd is the guy that I handed out the information out on him putting a Vietnam museum in his office building. His office will not be completed by our normal weekend for the reunion. Mike is working on getting us a hotel to hold the reunion. He is planning on having a grand opening for the museum as well as for his building for our reunion. He is planning on having the living wall there for his grand opening. Ron and Mike say this should be good shindig.
    How does this sound for all you guys?

18. had A PHONE CALL FROM JOHN ANDERSONS 3RD WIFE TODAY. ANY 1 REMEMBER WHEN JOHN LOST A LEG TO A BOOBY TRAP ? WAS HE SHOT IN THE LEG ? I REMEMBER THE MID MARCH BOOBY TRAP AND GOMER. AND TINY NEXT TO ME GOT SHRAPNEL–I DID NOT

19. Well deserved! Although we never really met in the field I always felt safer when you guys were in the field.

20. Gentlemen:
    Those who knew Warlock & myself in the Nam you might be interested to know he is going to be memorialized in a new Veterans Park in Sun City, Florida. There will be a “Bronze Statue” of him in the park with his name. Inside the community center there will be “Bio of Warlock & Picture of Warlock & myself”.
    Karen & I also bought a engraved brick for Larry Detwiler ” Duck”. Dedication is schedule for 1/10/2019.
    Thanks has go to Mark Tucciarone & his mother who where instrumental in referring me to the Veterans Committee which I am now a member.

21. Larry
    A elected official lying I find that had to believe!
    Jersey City, NJ had six (6) mayors go jail! One they found out was even a American Citizen.

22. While Wally was here pheasant hunting one day we got snow and a who bunch of cold. We sat and watch the whole series of Vietnam by Keith Burns. Like Wally said, is it ever a eye opener! Had we known that ever president that touched the Vietnam war lied to the American public and used it to get elected or re-elected is such a shame. This series was nothing like what we were expecting to see. It is a need to see series.

1. Thanks, Larry,
      When I watched it, I was aware of some of what had happened, but not all of it. It is eye opening to see how we were used as a stepping stone for politicians to gain more power. It was sickening. We don’t need to wonder why our Congress has such low approval ratings among the public.

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *