Please feel free to take part in our discussion– this forum serves as a guestbook for everyone, not just members. Offensive, spam, and inflammatory posts may be deleted.

If your comment does not show up right away, do not worry, it was probably temporarily marked as spam for some reason. However, your comment will be manually approved and later posted once an administrator has reviewed it.

Click here to leave a reply.

5,695 comments

1. larry–brandon can view pics can’t get slideshows to wrk——-larry glad you and judy made it back njoy the hunt

2. Brother’s thanks for all your prayers and well wishes. Judy and I made it home Friday and she is now in her long recovery period. She won’t be able to run in any marithons now. Time to get things back to normal. I am looking forward to Wally Searight and Rex Allen coming out to pheasant hunt next month. We have a huge hunting party, I think somewhere around 25 guys. We start on Friday nigth the 13th with a prime rib meal furnished by my Texas friends. It’s a guy thing where we prepare our own meals, hunt, play some cards, and a few of the guys drink a little beer.

3. Brandon: Your suggestion was one of many I got to upgrade to IE8. At the expense of my pokey dial-up modem and smoking 40 year old phone lines, I did so.
    The Roster now downloads correctly, but still has almost no names I recognize from the early (Fort Devens) days.

1. Glad you were finally able to view the roster! Hopefully the browser upgrade was worth it– I think you’ll be able to see a lot more of the internet now that you have a current browser.

4. Talked to Reggie Duncan a while back, pretty sure he was in 2nd Squad, 3rd Platoon. Reggie is retired and living in New York. Seemed happy, but didn’t show an interest in reunions.

5. SHORT ROUND:
    Did you go to the St. Louis get together you’re talking about? 8 of us did, including Clay. If you were there, we missed you.

6. Short Round, I started out with 3rd platoon in late Sept or early Oct 1970. My memory is usually pretty good and my early days in the platoon made a deep impression along with the guys in the platoon. I think I remember a Duncan but I can’t place Joe. A lot of the time my problem is because I only knew guys by their nicknames. I remember one guy whose nickname was Nasty which I thought was a pretty cool name. Anybody else remember him? Early in my tour it seemed like people would just disappear without a word and never be seen again after we went back to the rear. I probably just hadn’t developed my network then. That’s my recollection about what happened to Nasty.

7. i met with joe casas and his wife mary on the way back to AZ. joe was 3rd plt machine gunner from nov 69 to nov 70. both are getting older–with some new medical bills, but getting by. was there a guy named duncan in 3rd platoon back then ? think that was the name joe mentioned, along with lt ty. ty–you remember the time joe`s squad came back all cleaned up, after finding a creek or river >

8. regarding the 196th locator. it was started by jim crum and tony may because the 196th brigade association, back in the 1980s, was mostly the guys that went over on the boats together. there was a real good turnout at the st louis gathering, but friction caused jim and tony to go separate ways. tony has tried to keep it afloat. last i heard, he was thinking about teaching english in vietnam. tony still has a bullet in his neck from nam days.they located a bunch of guys back in those days.

9. Larry, I am sad to hear of Judy’ s illness. I hope the operation was successful. Keep the faith and fight the good fight. God bless you and yours.

10. Patty and I send our prayers and best wishes to Judy. We know you will be OK. Take good care of her, Larry.

11. Larry & Judy,
    Glad they were able to identify EXACTLY what and where the problem was and got it out!
    Take whatever chemo or radiation they recommend. Cancer is such a tenacious bastard that it takes extradinordinary means to get it all.
    Wishing you luck and will be thinking of you both.
    Mitch

12. Larry, Judy and family-
    I am so sorry to hear of the problem and want to forward our best wishes and prayers. Take time to heal and then spend time enjoying what you love in life. GOD bless and keep you well.

13. Larry and Judy,
    Please know that you are always in our prayers and particularly in this difficult time. God will surely find it in his goodness to provide a total cure. We love you guys!

14. Larry
    Sorry to hear about Judu’s problem. Putting up with you would be reson for anyone to smoke….. and I am not just refering to cigaettes….. Hell, I have addictions just being your friend….. Judy….. Hang tough….. My daughter just went thru a bunch of the cancer shit and you can beat this stuff. Be Tuff…. Larry will teach you to be a grunt…. YOU CAN BEAT THIS SHIT….. BE TOUGH…. I’m here for you if you need me………

15. The week after Judy and I got home from the reunion, we found out Judy had a tumor in her lungs. Last Wednesday, they removed about the lower and middle lobe of her right lung which is somewhere around 35% of her total lung capacity. The tumor was cancerious, but they think they got all the cancer. She got out of the hospital today, but we are to stick around in Amarillo, TX until Friday so she can get her stiches removed and another doctor visit. It doesn’t look like she will have to have chemo.
    Her doctor is 99.45678% sure the cancer was caused by two decades of smoking. Quite a price to pay.

1. so sry to hear that—am glad for good news—–thnx for all you do. Larry, this is Frances please tell Judy she is in our prayers. We have been that route with cancer and there is lots of good help out there for you besides all of us. A great and fantastic site is http://www.caringbridge.org where you can go to set up a site where you and Judy can go and friends can visit through that site. We have one for Lawrence and it is http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/lawrence. God Bless

2. Larry,
      My heart goes out to you and Judy and I hope and pray that she fully recovers. With the great surgeons and medical advancements we have today, I’m confident that Judy will be fine in time, but right now I know it’s pretty painful and difficult for her. My friends wife had a similar surgery 3 weeks ago and she is 100% cancer free according to her doctors. Judy should be the same as well.

16. LT:
    No. Locate-A-Brother was an organization started by a guy named Tony May. His intention was to find eveyone who ever served in the 196th. He started it after some sort of split within the 196th.org group, but after a couple of big reunions which did not meet expenses, I believe he just quietly shut it down. In any case, the website no longer works, at least for me.

17. I don’t believe that the 196 locate a brother site is a research site but only one where you can post that you are looking for someone and hope someone can help you. Gary, right or wrong?

18. Jim,
    I asked Warren Neil who is the President of the 196th LIB Vets Organization and he said it is no longer functioning. If you have someone you are specifically trying to locate you can email Warren and he may be able to help you out.
    LT

19. Shortround:
    I’m in Queen Creek for another week and a half. Give me a call on my cell (480) 648-7851. maybe we can hook up one of the days I am here. Doing a lot of kid sitting for my daughter. Her 5 year old is pretty easy to handle. Once he finishes the PT drills he is very low key. Anyway, give me a shout.

20. short round
    this is from greenbennie 1st plt ldr sept 69 thru dec69 would it be pssible for me to tlake with you via telephone i think you were there when marty trip bobby trap that wouned me my rto and medic the day after thanksgiving 69 if you were there i would like to talk with you my memories are not to good

21. Sorry LT…. I can’t help you with that question. Aug of 70 I was back in Chicago taking care of business Bangkok style……

22. Hey guys:
    Since I got back from St. Louis, I sat down and reread the letters I had sent to my parents from Vietnam. In one of the letters I sent dated Aug 28, 1970 I mentioned that there were two survivors from the Chinook shot down at LZ Judy. Which corroborates some of the discussions I had last week. Does anyone have any idea how we might be able to identify the survivor other than the co-pilot Mr. Ried????

Leave a Reply to Larry Harper Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *