Please feel free to take part in our discussion– this forum serves as a guestbook for everyone, not just members. Offensive, spam, and inflammatory posts may be deleted.

If your comment does not show up right away, do not worry, it was probably temporarily marked as spam for some reason. However, your comment will be manually approved and later posted once an administrator has reviewed it.

Click here to leave a reply.

5,695 comments

1. Jim and Gail Leland are visiting at John and Gail Sides. They are thinking that they would like to host a reunion in September in Hot Springs, Ark. They are going to do some research and see if they can set anything up. They will keep us as thing progress.

1. Guys:
      I have been away on my trip North to visit family & SKI a little. Hope Captain Morris is getting better. Having served with various companies in the 196th, I can tell you he was the best of the best. His experience, compassion and focus were always on his men not he minded us wasting the bad guys.

2. Capt. Bob Morris, has been thur a lot and wasn’t doing good for about 3 days, but thank God things have improved so much, they have him up walking , he is finally eating and his wife LeAnn says he looks like the old Bob,( I guess that is a good thing,lol), Please keep prayers coming.

3. Capt. Bob was moved to Amherst Manor today , will be there for rehab and PT, still not able to get by himself, keep sending prayers, Thanks

4. If memory serves me right he joined the company in Sept, 69. I was a short timer with an ETD of Nov 23, 1969. When I saw him with his shirt of with scars and all those muscles all I could picture in my mind was the GI Joe comic book character with a hand grenade in one hand, the pin in his mouth and a WWII tommy gun in the other hand blasting away charging a hill with shells landing all around him. I wish him well as I have heard nothing but good about him.

5. Captain Morris. So, maybe he is human. He is still superman to me. Wish him best of luck and recovery from “Infantry” the 90mm guy.
    Jim Intravia

6. Update on Capt. Bob Morris, surgery went well, in a lot of pain , had hardware put in back to stabilize his spine, Please keep him in your prayers. Thanks.

7. Just letting you guys know CAPT. BOB MORRIS is having surgery on his back and other problems that is going on, Needing lots of prayers.

8. Its been too Quite!

The Weight of History

History gets heavier as we age
    50+ Years since we left the Green Hell of our Youth
    There is an eternity in front and behind our lives
    In 100 years, no one will remember our deeds good or evil
    For many of us our souls started to fray with the loss of our brothers
    Were we warriors or killers?
    Show mercy towards those who killed the smiles which brighten our days WHY?
    What did we gain from the slaughter of our generation?
    There is no glory on the battlefield just death & fear
    Death was on our doorstep everyday but refuse me time after time
    Blood on my boots, hate in my soul
    I longed for the smell of home, cows instead of water buffalos
    Crashing waves of the Jersey Shore
    Forever my conscience will ask why did I survive?

1. I will never consider myself a warrior or killer. I never desired a firefight of any size from snipers to a major conflict which excludes me as a warrior. Never considered myself a killer but fighting in self defense. Fight or flight. The second choice was not an option.

1. Bill,
        First I was FDG, scare & uncertain. Then after some experience and trusting Warlock’s instincts I became a warrior. Later after watching too many brothers go down I became a killer, sometimes out of control.

1. I get it! I got the killer instinct in March, 1969 and August, 1969 when we were in heavy combat and I thought the NVA might mount a charge like we see in the movies. Then I thought I would take as many as I could with me.

2. Warrior or not, I don’t know. I do know that despite the terror there was some of what they call the thrill of battle-exhiliration, even if unpleasant. There was also the hate that appeared when Jake and Arky were killed. I almost executed a prisoner before we turned him in. I had a pistol to his head and came so close to pulling the trigger that it has haunted me ever since. Some of you might remember, it was a one-legged civilian man. Probably lost his leg to us or them and that’s why he wasn’t in some military. It was pure raw hate and vengeance in my head. So glad I didn’t let it happen. I don’t know who was with me on that day but I’m guessing someone else remembers.

9. Echo? Did you say echo? I was in echo company (90mm) before i asked to transfer to Charlie permanently. But, yeah. No activity here anymore.

1. I wasn’t left behind on this site to be hunted down by the NVA and VC. Jim, why did you asked to be in Charlie Company and not stat as a 90mm guy?

1. I stayed a 90 guy. I just liked being with Charlie Co. and Captain Morris better than Echo and being sent to other companies as needed. Me and Vanderbush both did this.

10. Happy New Year! Since no one posting I feel I am yelling into a canyon and waiting for an echo to come back.

11. Since no one reads this site anymore I will wish our brothers who gave their all in Vietnam and those who have gone home since returning home a HAPPY THANKSGIVING!

1. Bill, I just read your comment on this site. Merry Christmas! Thank you to all who have served and continue to serve, much appreciation for your sacrifice. Many blessings and wishes for a Happy New Year for you and your families.

12. Yesterday I gave speech to the Sun City Veterans, American Legion, VFW, MOAA etc. I talked about Warlock, C 2/1 and other times. The Grand Marshal was Cpl. Edward Mahoney, USMC. A World War II Veteran. IWO JIMA, GUAM ETC. Tough old bird about 97!
    Missed see you guys hopefully next year things might be closed to normal.

1. 97! Not much longer and we will be that group. High regard for WWII vets. Did not know when coming home. Good you are keeping Warlock alive in stories.

13. I tried emailing Larry but my email for him was out of date.
    Years ago, I did the “12 days of Vietnam” of Christmas 69 with a few of us singing….”sniper in a palm tree,” etc. I’m thinking of trying to get that published in Vietnam magazine and I would donate the fee to the site.

I had published it in a local newspaper. I might have got paid $25 for it at the time or it might have been no fee. I know the publisher and he’s cheap.
    I don’t remember who else was “singing.” Do you by any chance? It would be nice. Maybe you? Hopefully Larry sees this.

14. I am sorry to hear about short round. I had some nice conversations with him at one of the two reunions I went to. I wish him the best.

15. Just to let you guys know Greg Cook ( SHORT ROUND) is in bad shape, he wife says they told her he only has days left, Prayers for him and his family.

16. 9/11/21
    Twenty years after that day. A cousin, son of girl I grew up with, seven men I work with in the Twin Towers & son friend who made it to the roof calling for help that that never came.
    Now that Afghanistan is home for terrorist’s & if they attack us again “Kill Them All”.

17. Does current events currently happening in Afghanistan remind anyone of anything or is it just me and my PTSD?

1. 1974 all over again. will we never learn. now the afgan vets will have to go thru the same terrible soul searching that nam vets still are going thru.

18. We have 28 rooms reserved for this year’s reunion in Kansas City. Come and join us all you Charlie Grunts!

1. I have had a change of plans , and will not be attending this year. Sorry Larry, send my regards to everyone. Thanks ,Tooch

19. You are so awesome! I don’t suppose I have read something like that before. So great to find another person with some genuine thoughts on this issue. Seriously.. thank you for starting this up. This website is one thing that’s needed on the internet, someone with a little originality!

20. Shadow of Their Souls

As Americans we prepare to celebrate another Memorial Day
    We spend our days in the Shadow of Our Brother’s Souls.
    Are there Hot Dogs & Hamburgers in Heaven?
    The Gates of Eternity are Open for the Old Warriors as our Rendezvous with Death nears and we prepare to enter the Bivouac of the Dead.
    Our Long-Departed Brothers Await Us
    The Muffled Drum’s & Sounds of Taps echo across the Graveyards of a Nation
    We must Honor Them with the Spirit & Courage they gave to Our Country.
    They never felt the joy of life, being a Parent or Grandparent.
    Their Lifeforce has given us a Gift of Freedom!
    Honor Them!

Bullwinkle & Warlock

Leave a Reply to Jim Intravia Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *